FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What exactly constitutes what a guitar solo is?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sp3eD  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only solo I feel they dropped the ball on is the guitar scaling part in Don't Stop Believing. Lots of people disagree with me on that so maybe I just don't know what I am talking about
jjackson  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CyberRaiza wrote:
Also, we really should have some bass solos.

I've been wanting bass solos for so long, but I kinda gave up after there wasn't one charted in Naked in the Rain.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's still no way I can rationalize the "guitar solo" in Waves of Mutilation. I'd guess that if HMX could get a do-over on that, they wouldn't mark it as a solo (like how after RB1, they realized not as many songs should have BREs, I'm sure they've also gotten smarter about solo placement)
Stormrider2112  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gritsen wrote:
orange crush has this tiny solo, in which the guitarist of REM plays only a few harmonics. It is debatable if this is a solo since he even repeats the pattern twice, so its not improvisation.

If I charted YYZ, the entire bridge section would have been a bass solo, (and probably a drum solo too) we need more of them. Who even dares to say that Saints of los angeles should not have had a bass solo! : D
Number of the Beast, as well (after Adrian's guitar solo).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bclare wrote:
There's still no way I can rationalize the "guitar solo" in Waves of Mutilation. I'd guess that if HMX could get a do-over on that, they wouldn't mark it as a solo (like how after RB1, they realized not as many songs should have BREs, I'm sure they've also gotten smarter about solo placement)
The BRE in Cherub Rock (fast strumming on guitar, nothing hard...not sure about drums) and Black Magic (drum roll) and the solos in Synchronicity II (13 notes of whammy bar noise) and We Got The Beat (the basic drum pattern from the rest of the song) are all bad examples of how to "specialize" sections.

Painkiller is the best example of "good specialization" in charts...the drum solos are, in fact, actually solos, and the guitar solos are done well, too (Glenn's solo isn't broken up when he plays the rhythm variation).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the real answer is simply, whatever the charter makes a guitar solo. I doubt that there is any criteria, it's just a design choice.
Cipher53  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stormrider2112 wrote:
bclare wrote:
The BRE in Cherub Rock (fast strumming on guitar, nothing hard...not sure about drums) and Black Magic (drum roll) and the solos in Synchronicity II (13 notes of whammy bar noise) and We Got The Beat (the basic drum pattern from the rest of the song) are all bad examples of how to "specialize" sections.

Painkiller is the best example of "good specialization" in charts...the drum solos are, in fact, actually solos, and the guitar solos are done well, too (Glenn's solo isn't broken up when he plays the rhythm variation).

Despite the fact that the drum solo in We Got The Beat isn't anything new, I think that it technically counts as one, because aside from the vocalist continuing to sing during that period of time, both the bassist and guitarist drop out to allow the drummer to show off, which validates the drum solo for me.

Regardless, I'm actually pretty happy with the way they've treated BREs and solos. Rock Band: Unplugged is an exception, however they did that so that the parts would be more emphasized, as you could just cheap out of it by playing another part during that period of time if you played right.

Arguably the guitar solos in Kids in America probably shouldn't be charted as such according to some of the member's opinions here (The guitar solo is played what? Three times? And its the exact same thing.), but they are guitar solos..

I don't think that in my library (RB1, RB2, AC/DC, and some DLC, probably somewhere around 200-250 songs) that I've come across anything that hasn't been charted as a solo, with the exception of bass solos, which in reality some are simply bass intros.
ShiDuba  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think the most ridiculous thing so far is the "solo" of The Power Of Equality. Cmon, there's like 7 notes in it!
johnnyhala  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dore wrote:
It's completely subjective. I wish they would be more willing to put solos for all the short little things and intro riffs. For example, the opening of PDA should be a drum solo IMO. Peace Sells should have like 8 or 9 guitar solos. etc.

solo 7!
solo 8!!
solo 9!!!

Seriously though, I can't provide any specific example, but there have been in times when I think something should be a somewhat short solo but it wasn't labeled short (I would guess b/c it's too short)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's usually when a very "unique" string of riffs / soloing techniques are played, or in other words very long guitar fills.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Ze King of Sage
Beedlebub  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singemfrc wrote:
I think it's totally and completely up to the guy at HMX who designates a section as solo.

I have to wonder about RB3 though, because if you look at RBU they just go completely insane with solos..there freakin everywhere and on every instrument, no matter how long or short....so I wonder if thats going to carry over at all to RB3.
The reason RBU has so many solos is because any time only one instrument is playing it counts it as a solo. They do this so you aren't playing multiple phrases in a row without switching tracks. There is no reason to have so many solos when they come to DLC on RB2.

God damnit.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: RudiganRex PSN Name: Beedlebub-
sidney17  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as it's not the solo in Clint Eastwood, I don't care. That really ticked me off.

BizCasFri  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly constitutes what a thread in SH should be about? is a better question here.

Who fucking cares.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^I agree with that man right there.

Guitar Hero: Live Goals:
Actually get good at Guitar Hero: Live
10 Guitar Hero: Live Setlist FCs

ShadoWolf wrote:
Fuck you HellAsses you fucking fucker

mazegeek999PSN from my accomplishments thread wrote:
koloxid wrote:
holy fuk
do you ever stop

Well, he hasn't posted in a month.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: HellAshes PSN Name: HellAshes
Zourtack  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BizCasFri wrote:
What exactly constitutes what a thread in SH should be about? is a better question here.

Who fucking cares.

Guitarists care.

The solos in clint eastwood are really strange. I think the piano one was just put there to make the chart not boring
as for the second one however it might really be guitar.

What constitutes a solo?
As a rule of thumb I'd say any part where the guitar is distinctly diffrent and leading the song. This is not always followed >.<
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Misc RB Game Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: