FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Questions about Voxtaring and Voxdrumming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xtremecarbon  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Questions about Voxtaring and Voxdrumming Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm basically coming here looking for tips on how to get good at this.

I 5*d Colony of Birchmen on VoxDrum, but I'm looking to improve. Any tips? Also, which should I focus on more, the vocals or the drum/guitar? Vocals is my weakest instrument btw.

My Accomplishments
Hey, I FINALLY have Rock Band 3! And with Cymbals for Pro Mode! Add XBL if you want to play. The best way to contact me is through Twitter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xtremecarbonSH PSN Name: xtremecarbon Wii Friend Code: 1874701833916044
bclare  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Multitasking Forum doesn't see a lot of action, but you might want to try there. There's a good sticky (for voxtar) and a lot of wisdom can probably be gleaned from other threads there.
dore  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't exclusively focus on one more than the other, but it definitely helps to have at least one of the parts on autopilot so that you can focus on your weak points on the other instrument.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's definitely easier if you know how to sing the song/you know the lyrics. Then you can focus mostly on the guitar or drum part. Start with a song that you know really well and work from there.

Location: Redmond, Washington, US, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started voxtar with songs I had memorized (both pitches and lyrics), and simply never looked up at the vocal stream - I just played the guitar and focused on that and sang the song from memory. Once I got good at that, I started slowly incorporating the vocal stream in - glancing upward at it to get the next few words, then defaulting back down at the guitar stream. Eventually you start to learn to play the guitar stream via peripheral-vision, and now I give both streams approximately equal attention.
xtremecarbon  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I had no idea this existed

thanks for the replies everyone, I'll look around here now

My Accomplishments
Hey, I FINALLY have Rock Band 3! And with Cymbals for Pro Mode! Add XBL if you want to play. The best way to contact me is through Twitter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: xtremecarbonSH PSN Name: xtremecarbon Wii Friend Code: 1874701833916044
Snook  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I have a few questions myself.

I can voxtar/drum with some success on xdrums/gtr but I *have* to sing on hard for some reason. I have a lot of trouble matching the pitch with the headset, and I don't have (and can't afford) a mic stand. I've tried lowering the mic sensitivity, going to songs I know, etc. I just can't do it... What do you folks do to make this happen?

Location: Redmond, Washington, US, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you reliably do solo vocals on Expert? I'm still worse at vocals while doing voxtar (can FC many more songs solo vocals than I can voxtar), and I temporarily had to switch back to Hard mode when I did voxtar. Eventually, once you can play guitar/drums with more peripheral vision, you can dedicate more time to looking at the vocal chart, and that helps you to self-correct, which helps you to play Expert. I've gotten to the point where I can voxtar a song and watch the vocal stream the entire time (which I often do the first time I play a song), simply glancing down at the guitar stream when it gets complicated.

Even so, I've been playing voxtar Expert/Expert for almost a year now, and I'm still much better at solo vocals or solo guitar.

Also, if you're serious about voxtar, grab a mic stand. I think madcatz has a RB mic stand for a decent price.
Snook  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzepish wrote:
Can you reliably do solo vocals on Expert? I'm still worse at vocals while doing voxtar (can FC many more songs solo vocals than I can voxtar), and I temporarily had to switch back to Hard mode when I did voxtar. Eventually, once you can play guitar/drums with more peripheral vision, you can dedicate more time to looking at the vocal chart, and that helps you to self-correct, which helps you to play Expert. I've gotten to the point where I can voxtar a song and watch the vocal stream the entire time (which I often do the first time I play a song), simply glancing down at the guitar stream when it gets complicated.

Even so, I've been playing voxtar Expert/Expert for almost a year now, and I'm still much better at solo vocals or solo guitar.

Also, if you're serious about voxtar, grab a mic stand. I think madcatz has a RB mic stand for a decent price.

At this point the only thing truly holding me back from voxtaring is my mic. I really don't mind doing hard though, it's still a great party trick.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be creative and rig up a ghetto mic stand. You get all of the quality of a normal mic stand (well, arguably) plus you get the sense of satisfaction that comes with building something so awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to voxtar, I'd recommend picking a song with vocals you know by heart. Having the tune down already, so you know the way it goes, means you can focus entirely on playing the guitar, which is the part that requires all of my concentration, anyway. There are only maybe three or four songs at most that I can do this on.

I don't even have a mic stand. I have to wrap the cord of the mic around my neck and sort of have it dangle on my shoulder
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: