FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What are "worthy" multitasking FC's?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
duck  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does a voxtar fc lose all impressiveness (lol not a word) if you hum the vocals?
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: I Duckzorz I
ES942  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think singing the words is easier for me, so probably not
dore  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as humming does to normal vox FCs

meaning that it's based on your own opinion of RB vocals

I think it does, but I'm also a person who thinks that octave switching shouldn't be allowed, so my opinion is biased.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duck wrote:
does a voxtar fc lose all impressiveness (lol not a word) if you hum the vocals?

Oh hell no.

dore wrote:
as much as humming does to normal vox FCs

meaning that it's based on your own opinion of RB vocals

I think it does, but I'm also a person who thinks that octave switching shouldn't be allowed, so my opinion is biased.

I don't think this is really a thread for discussion of this topic, but I'm curious as to your opinion on both points mentioned previously.

First, isn't it considerably easier to read the lyrics when you're playing the song on solo vocals? Considering that the game doesn't require you to properly pronounce each word (ala GH:WT) and rather only requires pitch, I don't think it would be fair to frown upon someone who's doing what the game asks for - especially while trying to play another instrument simultaneously. That may just be me, though.

On the other hand, I can't see any good reason as to why octave shifting shouldn't be allowed. I have a very, very limited vocal range, and I simply can not hit certain notes in the original octave. It's a completely reasonable technique to use.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: nillacocajola
dore  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with using different octaves than the original (like taking a song up or down into your range). I just hate the way people can manipulate that to make songs easier. Songs with octave jumps like I Think I'm Paranoid are ridiculously easy for everyone who knows that you can just stay at the same pitch for the PAR-anoid. I think you should, to get credit for the pitch, make the same jump that the original singer does. (i.e. If the recording jumps from C5 to C6 and you start out on C4 you should have to jump to C5, even though they're all technically the same note.)

As for the voxtar point, I just hate humming in general because the game engine gives you wiggle room so that you can actually sing. Because HMX understands that enunciation takes away from pitch-accuracy, there is enough room for error so that you can still sing and get 100%. I think that humming detracts from that because instead of using the wiggle room for what it was intended for, hummers can use it for when they screw up.

I understand that it's harder to watch both parts at the same time and that it's still immensely difficult to get a double FC but if you're to the point where you can FC a song on vocals without staring at the pitch lines the whole time you should know the lyrics well enough to be able to sing them without looking the entire time. Yeah, it's a lot to focus on, but that's kinda the whole point of voxtar right? I understand that the lyrics are tough to handle but if I can sightread a song voxtar (sightread for both charts) and still attempt to sing then someone who has the ability to double FC a song should be able to sing to get 100%.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, okay, I see where you're coming from on the point of octave shifting. I certainly can't say that I haven't done it myself for the intents and purposes of hitting tricky jumps, but I can agree with your sentiment there.

Also, I guess I could have made it clear that I avoid humming and dislike the idea myself, but I simply forgot to add that in my original post. Again, I see myself in the same position as yourself, but I feel that humming can be "excused" in several cases. I, for one, play a song through several times on vocals before attempting Voxtar FCs, so the lyrics usually stick. However, all of us don't do this, and in some cases attempting to sing rather than match the pitch in certain phrases will break your combo when humming could provide a better result.

It's all perspective, though, I suppose. You have quite a few great points there.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message XBL Gamertag: nillacocajola
duck  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so..someone mentioned outside on the previous page..and i got it on my first try today
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: I Duckzorz I
atonalus  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on a year hiatus from Rock Band I'm just now seeing this topic. I wish I could have chimed in earlier, 'cause I firmly believe ALL voxtar FC's are "worthy". Of course some aren't too hard but I've found that I am quite satisfied even with a Maps FC.

The point is, in my very brief voxtar career, I've found that even so called easy FC's, Tom Sawyer, Learn to fly etc, are still kinda of a pain in the butt to FC. If you need someone to get 100% and 99%, or 99% and 99%, of 99% and 100%...I'm the man...however, once you start to strive for FC's, it's tough even on easy songs. I found when voxtaring it is really easy to miss something

So please, no caveats needed voxtarers...go pick up your plastic instruments and FC Blitzkrieg Bop and pat yourself on the back afterwards...hell...you can even up hum instead of say the words...I don't mind.

And screw all percussion parts
isolated999  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm suprised Sleepwalker hasn't been said, guitar is insane (See, Solo 2, Scales before it), and it's probably one of the hardest vox songs out there (I'm by no means a top vocalist, but this is one of the two songs I can't even pass on hard of what I've played), getting both at the same time would be Fucking Insane, especially with tambos(I think there's tambos at least).

Shoulder to the Plow XBass Failure stats (yes I'm keeping track <_<)
Outro FCs while missing during the Solo: 2
Outro Chokes: 15
Other various misses: ~50

Currently At: 80/84 RB2 XBass FCs
machchunk  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverSwift wrote:
for instance, Machchunk said that Flirtin' is the second-most impressive voxtar FC, when it's just not.

For some reason this angers me more the second I look at it. I know I posted about this already, but I feel like it needs to be said again - OPINIONS CANNOT BE WRONG OR RIGHT. OPINIONS CANNOT BE WRONG OR RIGHT. REPEAT AFTER ME: OPINIONS CANNOT BE WRONG OR RIGHT.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: machchunk
socialskills  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

machchunk wrote:
SilverSwift wrote:
for instance, Machchunk said that Flirtin' is the second-most impressive voxtar FC, when it's just not.

For some reason this angers me more the second I look at it. I know I posted about this already, but I feel like it needs to be said again - OPINIONS CANNOT BE WRONG OR RIGHT. OPINIONS CANNOT BE WRONG OR RIGHT. REPEAT AFTER ME: OPINIONS CANNOT BE WRONG OR RIGHT.

Your anger over this is duly noted. Let's chalk it up to a matter of semantics, shall we? For example, just imagine that Swift instead wrote:

SilverSwift wrote:
Machchunk said that Flirtin' is the second-most impressive voxtar FC, but I simply disagree.

It's actually fairly common for people to speak their opinions in an objective manner, thereby making a declarative instead of personal (subjective) statement. This is technically false, but enough people get away with it that declarative statements are usually interpreted as the subjective statements they actually are through context.

People often say "this sucks" rather than the more accurate "I think this sucks"; fairly or not, the "I think" part is merely implied by the speaker, though listeners often are able to distinguish between the two.

Anyway, I think the actual disagreement regarding FWD is occurring because I had initially started the conversation hoping to discuss songs that are unfairly overlooked as difficult multitasking FC's because neither of their individual charts are considered at the top end of the difficulty range. The guitar chart alone for FWD is universally understood to be very difficult to FC, which somewhat diminishes its stature in this thread.

Think of it this way: we're looking for songs with a large differential between the difficulty of individual charts versus the difficulty of multitasking it. From 1 to 10, I would rank FWD's vocals at probably a 2, guitar an 8 or 9. Even if it's a 10 on multitasking difficulty, much of that comes from the guitar being so hard.

Contrast that with something like Outside. In my opinion, it's a 5 on guitar, 3 on vocals. However, put those together and I feel like it's an 8 or 9 to FC. That's a pretty big gap. That's what Swift meant when he wrote (later in the post that you quoted):

SilverSwift wrote:
If one chart is significantly hard in it's individual instrument category, then the according voxtar FC is deemed more impressive. Therefore, stuff like Reptilia, Suffragette City and so forth get overlooked.

I understand your anger, mach, but it doesn't seem like suggesting one song that can be easily argued with under the terms of the thread, and then posting about how angry you are instead of contributing to the actual discussion, will help anything. You've got some impressive multitasking FC's of your own, so you can definitely contribute, and that would be awesome. You still haven't told us what RB2 songs you think would constitute "worthy" multitasking FC's.
- All 3,255 RB1 BWT stars collected (solo, voxtar, expert)

Voxtar guide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Band/Multitasking All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: