FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Stock drum pad mesh heads mod (updated: 12/15)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Friedmannn  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not, because the band-aid things are there as well. I guess I'll try it the normal way without them, and if there's crosstalk or something, do you think having those on it would make it less sensitive + eliminating crosstalk?

rpeet687  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine had those blue rubbery things too and I didn't use them but I just played around with tightness and foam until I got it perfect
link2312  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you need to drill holes into the plastic stock pad? not the ring... i know you need to drill into the ring but the actual pad itself...
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: link2312 PSN Name: link2312
russ7166  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not drilling any new holes, rather your making the original holes that were there for the screws that held the ring onto the plastic pad wider.
link2312  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats what i thought... to make em bigger do you have to drill stuff or just force the screws through?
View user's profile Send private message XBL Gamertag: link2312 PSN Name: link2312
tsukasa2600  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the plastic rim, you must drill all the way through, I think I used a 1/8" drill bit, not positive though.

For the plastic base, (where the rubber pad was), you may or may not need to drill to enlarge the holes.
I didn't drill mine through at first, but I found it easier to open the drum heads after drilling them through, since it was a pain to have to unscrew each screw, it's much easier to just have to remove the nut and pull the screw out.
joeyjoejoe  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I did this mod and I really like it. I did the version without a copper ring (pkeistler style) I seem to be able to get plenty of tension on the heads, but these things just aren't that sensitive.

I put the pezio on top of 3 of the 4 layers of foam. I'm wondering if the wii RB2 controllers are just not that sensitive. Any ideas for increasing sensitivity?

I'm thinking of replacing the 1 1/4 " screws with 1" ones. I'm also thinking something like the "penny mod" might help. I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue.
mikejl46  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joeyjoejoe wrote:
Well, I did this mod and I really like it. I did the version without a copper ring (pkeistler style) I seem to be able to get plenty of tension on the heads, but these things just aren't that sensitive.

I put the pezio on top of 3 of the 4 layers of foam. I'm wondering if the wii RB2 controllers are just not that sensitive. Any ideas for increasing sensitivity?

I'm thinking of replacing the 1 1/4 " screws with 1" ones. I'm also thinking something like the "penny mod" might help. I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue.

I think it would be more sensitive if you put the piezo on a solid surface and then have foam between the piezo and mesh screen.

For me the RB2 controllers seem to be more sensitive than RB1 controllers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there been any further advancements on the piezo placement for better sensitivity? My red pad on my rb2 kit has a very small bubble starting to form and would be up for converting to mesh heads, but of course don't want to lose sensitivity. May just do the Xcell pads for now it the mesh heads still aren't perfected.

Great thread otherwise!!
tsukasa2600  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any sensitivity issues at all after placing the piezos as I have stated in the OP.

I have an EL rb1 kit, and I'm using a various hodgepodge of piezos, including a few radioshack piezos, and at least one stock piezo.

I'm actually considering upgrading to an rb2 kit, so I can have cymbal support, but that'll probably wait until the beatles comes out.
minus  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to hear! May just have to give this a whirl when the red pad fully bubbles. Definitely want to add on some cymbals later on too.
ColSonders  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right guys, I finsihed constructing my first mesh head last night and it looks amazing.

I've tightened the mesh right up and get great rebound and the sound of hitting the mesh head is great compared to my official silencers.

I would like to thank everyone that has contributed to this mod, once I get mine running how I want it it'll be sweet.

A few concerns though.

Firstly i've only put a single mesh head on but if the adjacent pad also had the same copper ring around it they'd be compressed against each other, there's not actually enough room between the heads. So is there any suggestions on another material to use as the outer ring? I was thinking about using two copper rings on red and green and using the outer part of the embroidery hoops for yellow/blue (only bought 4 hoops and would need to take one apart to make the existing hoops large enough.

Secondly i'm having sensitivity issues, my first attempt was very unresponsive with just a single block of foam between the piezo and the mesh, it was maybe 1/16" bigger than the gap and the mesh was farily taught.
My second attempt I used almost found times as much foam and had it compressed, tightened the mesh right up (not sure how much more tension I could put on but it seemed very tight), this seemed to work a lot better but dropped lightly hit notes and doesn't respond at all to rim shots.

The foam i'm using is from a hard disk drives packaging and is quite shishy, do you think this is the problem? The piezo does appear to be fine and under current setup provided i'm not light handed (which i'm not, but others that play at my house are) it responds very well, rolls well etc.
rpeet687  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the rubber tubing since they didn't have copper and it works just as great and is a lot cheaper, plus I like it since I glue it together like a ring I had no problems with the heads touching each other.
tsukasa2600  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you follow how I have it posted exactly, (ie. using foam paintbrushes), you shouldn't have any problems. I spent a great deal of time trying out different kinds of foam, as well as other materials, and the foam paintbrushes work best.

As for spacing with the copper rings, mine are just barely touching, if at all.
It shouldn't be a problem, as long as you don't make your rings too big.

I wrapped my copper tubing around the screw posts on the underside of the top plastic ring from the pads; my copper rings are too small to fit the plastic rings through. If you're having issues with spacing, your rings might be a bit too big.
ColSonders  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issues are mostly resolved.

I was unable to find any foam paint brushes to destroy but I found a nice foam sanding block and the harder foam worked, I now have amazing sensitivity with the stock piezo although it doesn't always pick up rim shots but I don't mind that.

I still just have the one mesh head assembled so haven't looked at the spacing issues that i'm expecting (I don't think I was neat enough bending the copper tube to fit two next to each other), but I have a plan, i've hacked up and glued/taped together the outer embroidery rings and they should work fine.

My drum set with just the one mesh head got a good testing last night as I had a load of friends round for a rock band session, i've got to say everyone was impressed with the mesh head and I was pleased with the sound level off it.

My only concern now is that my drum sticks took a hammering from catching the heads of the bolts, i've doubled up on the bolts to keep the rim in check so instead of the standard six i've got twelve. Not sure what I can do about this really

I have to say thank you again for this post, it's a god send for those who want almost silent running on their drums without forking out a small fortune.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: