FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
You may know these Songs from...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArcadicGamer  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: You may know these Songs from... Reply with quote

I was interested in creating a wiki page that would list all RB songs and DLC and relate them to other places people might know the song from. IE: Album X, artist Y parody, Movie Soundtrack Z, Covered by Artist Q, and so on. This would obviously be a lot of work for 500 different songs.

But i guess my question is, is this a suitable page for relation to the scorehero wiki? The only reason for it to exist is to inform and possibly send people interested in a song to other places, ie promotion?

An appropriate page title would help also. The topic title was my best idea for the page title.

B4MV  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is an amazing idea.
I'd be very happy to help with it too.
ArcadicGamer  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized in my planning tonight that one huge page for all the songs would be too much, so i'm thinking having a page for RB1, RB2, and somehow divide DLC by releases dates, such as having 3-6 month blocks to keep the page smaller.

I'll wait for more input, since my work week is over. (i plan on working on this @ work. Stave off the boredom, or at least some of it)

ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This page sounds like it would be a great idea, and I would gladly help out as much as I can.

If you do wind up splitting the pages up, I would think that splitting the DLC alphabetically would work out better. For example, say I was trying to find info on the Perfect Drug, and wasn't quite sure when it was released. I'd have to look up the release date just to find the info on your page.

I'm going to make a bold suggestion here, and say that making the page more of a "Song Facts"-type thing might create more interest. Basically taking your original idea, and then adding interesting facts about songs as well. It would certainly make naming the page easier >_>. So you would see something like:
Sample wrote:
Song: Psycho Killer
Artist: Talking Heads
Album: Talking Heads: 77
TV Appearances: The Simpsons (Treehouse of Horror XVIII)
Parodies: "Psycho Chicken" - The Fools (1979)
Facts: Rapper Ice-T says that "Psycho Killer" was a starting influence for Body Count's controversial hit "Cop Killer".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is info that sounds interesting, but rather than making one gargantuon page, would it be better to just add the info to each individual song page? A lot of people have contributed stuff like this to song pages for GH songs, but the majority of the RB song pages just have what track pack they're from. I'd love to see song pages get decked out with more information, and actaully become an interesting read. Plus that would save you a huge headache as far as cross-referencing, which can be a pain in the ass when you're doing a big big list (trust me on that one ).
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: IWi11KickU
ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWillKickU wrote:
This is info that sounds interesting, but rather than making one gargantuon page, would it be better to just add the info to each individual song page? A lot of people have contributed stuff like this to song pages for GH songs, but the majority of the RB song pages just have what track pack they're from. I'd love to see song pages get decked out with more information, and actaully become an interesting read. Plus that would save you a huge headache as far as cross-referencing, which can be a pain in the ass when you're doing a big big list (trust me on that one ).

Actually this sounds like a great idea, with the added benefit of eliminating the frustration bound to arise when there are 7 people trying to add info at the same time.

We should probably get clearance from the staff first, though, because I think that they wanted to keep song pages clear of that (I'm not sure).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent suggestions. Alphabetizing it makes more sense than dating it. Each song page also makes plenty of sense, but i do want to be sure that this info belongs there before willy-nilly editing them.

p.s. To add to pycho-killer, it was covered by Moxy Fruvous on their live CD. I'm sure there are plenty of other places snippets of songs show up everywhere.

topher07  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a really good idea. There are a lot of "Oh that song" moments in Rock Band. (for me see My Own Worst Enemy).

It would be a good thing for the main pages of the songs, since they are very vague at the moment.

Wikipedia would be a good source for some more famous songs (Tom Sawyer is in everything from Futurama to Chuck)

ScaryMusic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant idea. I'd be willing to help with anything I could.
dragoninforcer  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have one
Sample wrote:

Song:Eye of The Tiger
Artist: Survivor
Album: Eye of The Tiger
T.V. Appearences: Supernatural,Family Guy,The Boondocks, Rocky III
Parodies: "The Rye or The Kaiser" - Weird Al Yankovic (1984)
Facts: Origanily, Eye of The Tiger had tiger growls in it, but were only used in the movie Rocky III

i would also love to help
ArcadicGamer  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so i forget to post this yesterday.

I cannot edit the song info pages. I now think this is the optimal spot for this information rather than in a jumble all together.

Anyone else have this trouble? I am able to edit other pages, but not those.

ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcadicGamer wrote:

I cannot edit the song info pages. I now think this is the optimal spot for this information rather than in a jumble all together.

Song (and I think Game) pages are protected from editing unless you spend 5 contribution points for the privilege.

That will definitely be a setback as far as putting them on the song pages, as only a couple of us who have posted here have full editing privileges.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredvonKarma wrote:
ArcadicGamer wrote:

Song (and I think Game) pages are protected from editing unless you spend 5 contribution points for the privilege.

That will definitely be a setback as far as putting them on the song pages, as only a couple of us who have posted here have full editing privileges.

I have the full editing capabilities and I would be happy to help out.
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: sonicdude164 PSN Name: sonicdude164 Wii Friend Code: 2636125983192222
ArcadicGamer  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManfredvonKarma wrote:
ArcadicGamer wrote:

I have the cont. points, so maybe a discussion thread like this for all who care to help and just have people who can/will edit the info in?

ManfredvonKarma  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcadicGamer wrote:
I have the cont. points, so maybe a discussion thread like this for all who care to help and just have people who can/will edit the info in?

Well, considering that anyone can comment on song pages, I don't know if that's necessary. I still think that we need to wait on a moderator to approve editing this information onto the song pages themselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Wiki Brainstorming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: