FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ion review from a 10.4 drummer in RB1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disquette  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Ion review from a 10.4 drummer in RB1 Reply with quote

I have played RB only twice since April, but I decided to get the Ion and RB2 because I have the itch again.

Holy crap this set is awesome.

So, while I *could* end a review there, here's a little more detail...

1) Cymbals - not sensitive at all from what I could tell. On the other hand, I don't really care since I never hit them once in the few songs I played. The regular heads are plenty sensitive, really bouncy, and really quiet.

2) One cymbal stalk didn't fit in it's clamp. Since I didn't care about cymbals, that didn't bother me and I ended up just leaving it on the floor.

3) I didn't notice a single double tap or non-registered note.

4) Bass pedal definitely feels better than the RB1 kit pedal. I have a make-my-own pedal, but due to noise, I'm going to stick with the Ion pedal for a while at least.

Bottom Line - cymbals need some work, but since you don't need them, this kit is frickin awesome. I don't know if others have problems, but I <3 mine. I've never played on the RB2 drums since, like I said, I haven't played RB for a long time, and maybe they're just as good. But I doubt it

PS - I know 10.4M isn't a great score in RB1, but it's high enough that you can be pretty sure that I know what the pains of double registers and non-registers are from the stock RB1 kit
Deathblooms51  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ion review from a 10.4 drummer in RB1 Reply with quote

disquette wrote:
I have played RB only twice since April, but I decided to get the Ion and RB2 because I have the itch again.

1) Cymbals - not sensitive at all from what I could tell. On the other hand, I don't really care since I never hit them once in the few songs I played. The regular heads are plenty sensitive, really bouncy, and really quiet.

2) One cymbal stalk didn't fit in it's clamp. Since I didn't care about cymbals, that didn't bother me and I ended up just leaving it on the floor.

4) Bass pedal definitely feels better than the RB1 kit pedal. I have a make-my-own pedal, but due to noise, I'm going to stick with the Ion pedal for a while at least.

Bottom Line - cymbals need some work, but since you don't need them, this kit is frickin awesome. I don't know if others have problems, but I <3 mine. I've never played on the RB2 drums since, like I said, I haven't played RB for a long time, and maybe they're just as good. But I doubt it

PS - I know 10.4M isn't a great score in RB1, but it's high enough that you can be pretty sure that I know what the pains of double registers and non-registers are from the stock RB1 kit
Eh, I don't see how you can say such bad things about the cymbals on how they aren't sensitive, and the clamp doesn't work, and still be happy with the kit.

You spent $300 on it, or more, right? I'd expect nothing but full function working hardware for such a price tag.

Sorry, but I just I felt I should add that. Thanks for the review, now I know to stay away from the Ion kit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Death, I'm surprised too at how much I don't care about the cymbals.

If I did care about them, I'd be really really aggravated.

I guess I've spent so much time and effort at getting the RB1 drums working over the past year that to have a bouncy, quiet, sensitive-but-not-too-sensitive kit was just awesome for me.

If you care about the cymbals, even just a little, I'd either avoid the kit all together, or at least read more reviews in case maybe other people's are fine and I just got a bad set of cymbals.
Deathblooms51  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disquette wrote:
Yeah Death, I'm surprised too at how much I don't care about the cymbals.

If I did care about them, I'd be really really aggravated.

I guess I've spent so much time and effort at getting the RB1 drums working over the past year that to have a bouncy, quiet, sensitive-but-not-too-sensitive kit was just awesome for me.

If you care about the cymbals, even just a little, I'd either avoid the kit all together, or at least read more reviews in case maybe other people's are fine and I just got a bad set of cymbals.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind them not being sensitive, as I'm a hard hitter anyways, BUT I have seen numerous people complain about the clamps being faulty.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ion review from a 10.4 drummer in RB1 Reply with quote

disquette wrote:

Send me your cymbal then, because I know how to set mine up and they work great. Thanks in advance!
ElvisLaw  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cymbals work great and I use them on every song. I think the clamp problem people have is user error TBH.
Slim  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the clamp itself is faulty it is very rare for it to not fit, you just need to make sure it is unscrewed properly and sort of pushed through to allow the cymbal arm into the gap. It's hard to explain but I know I had probs fitting my cymbals at first, but it's a tight fit to keep them in place so a bit of fiddling around should get it in. Oooh that sounded less naughty in my head!
Kered  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're having problems with your cymbals, try this: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82452

Also of note: you probably want to put them flat and hit them on the edge, not tilt them and hit them on the bow. They're not particularly sensitive, and an edge hit will give you more leverage and be registered as a harder hit.
Xusder  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ion review from a 10.4 drummer in RB1 Reply with quote

Kered wrote:
disquette wrote:

Send me your cymbal then, because I know how to set mine up and they work great. Thanks in advance!

Or to me. Since, you know, the third cymbal accessory hasn't shipped yet.

ElvisLaw wrote:
My cymbals work great and I use them on every song. I think the clamp problem people have is user error TBH.

Usually, yeah, user error.

Me, I forced them into the clamps. No damage done.

ALL OF MY D.L.C. All RB 1/2 DLC, All RB:N DLC, All TB:RB DLC, All Exports (RB 1/L:RB/GD:RB). Pray for my Hard Drive!
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: Xusder PSN Name: Xusder Wii Friend Code: 2904437187104594
Deathblooms51  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ion review from a 10.4 drummer in RB1 Reply with quote

Xusder wrote:
Kered wrote:
disquette wrote:

Or to me. Since, you know, the third cymbal accessory hasn't shipped yet.

ElvisLaw wrote:

Usually, yeah, user error.

Me, I forced them into the clamps. No damage done.
Well, what about the pedal? I've been hearing very bad things about it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's dog shit. If you buy an Ion you're gonna want to mod a real drum pedal and use that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: