FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Getting RB for XMas, want some pregame pointers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TGantz  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Getting RB for XMas, want some pregame pointers? Reply with quote

I just wanna know, just for the drums, what are the trickiest parts to learning? I never really played the real drums, so have no experience at all.

I mainly wanna know how to get used to focusing on using ur foot and hands, it seems very hard to me to get used to using them at the same time. I watch youtube videos, and I try to get my feet going with the bass, and my hands going for pads, but just cant sync them properly.

So can anyone really give me some pointers before I get the game, so I can get a quick start on learning the drums on Christmas day.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using them at the same time is the problem.
Not that you cant, but seperating them and being able to hit independantly.
Try going to freedrumlessons.com or net, i dont remmber and just go over basic stuff.
while at work on slow days like today I was going over some simple stuff, understanding measures, 8th notes, etc.
Count in your head. counting seems to make such a difference.
run to the hills on hard intro looks nuts.
you just count, ONE 2 3 4 ONE 2 3 4 ONE 2 3 4 ONE
And just do a bass with the ones and its alot easier.
I starting counting coincidentally on GH with my hdtv giving me lag on when id hit a note so long streaks id over/understrum not knowing if i hit em all. so I started counting and what not.
pLus once you get into it you will actually start to feel the rhythm which is kool as hell and spots that I couldnt hit when looking at them, i could FEEL and hit em. hard to explain, but good example is something like
Y+ bass, Y+bass, y,bass,y, Y+Bass.
zombie1942  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seperating your foot from your brain will be your biggest challenge.
NoPance  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zombie1942 wrote:
seperating your foot from your brain will be your biggest challenge.

Yeah that's really the biggest hurdle. Your right foot and right hand are both controlled by your left brain, and telling them to do different things takes a while. It'll come fairly easily though, and the progression from easy to expert does a pretty good job of exposing you to the drumming in a sensible progression.

You'll hit some stuff that you simply can't do at first, but with a little practice it's really rewarding.

EDIT: tech tech vpi
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: No Pance
MachoGreg  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought RB on Nov 20th. Unfortunately it is wrapped up and sitting under the tree I cant wait until Xmas. I have two kids, so it is there present, not mine. Knowing it is in the house and I cant play it really sucks.
m4tth4x  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a real drumset to play with, that would be the only practical way I can think for you to practice. Or you could make one out of tupperware and trash cans possibly.

Drum Goals-

Get 1st place on a song [X] (Even the Losers and Here Comes My Girl (Live))

Guitar Goals -

FC Chinease Democracy [ ]
FC Godzilla [X]
FC Chrion [-1]
FC Mud On The Tires [X]
FC Tripolette [-2]

Add me on XBL if you wanna play RB/GH
wasch24  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting RB for XMas, want some pregame pointers? Reply with quote

Start a solo tour on Easy and play through every single song...then do the same on Medium, Hard, and Expert.

Practice is essential IMO.

I have never played the drums before and have really noticed an increase in my ability to detect the rhythm of a song now, even outside of playing the game.

I have made my way through about 7 songs on hard, barely passing each of those, and have decided to go back to Medium and try and five star every song on Medium before moving to Hard again.

TGantz wrote:
I just wanna know, just for the drums, what are the trickiest parts to learning? I never really played the real drums, so have no experience at all.

I mainly wanna know how to get used to focusing on using ur foot and hands, it seems very hard to me to get used to using them at the same time. I watch youtube videos, and I try to get my feet going with the bass, and my hands going for pads, but just cant sync them properly.

So can anyone really give me some pointers before I get the game, so I can get a quick start on learning the drums on Christmas day.
Powder  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to try getting some practice in to build limb independence, here's an easy exercise to do.

Since you won't need your left foot for rock band, I wouldn't worry about it too much. You want to take your arms and right foot, and tap on something (your knees, your desk, whatever) with them all at once.

The trick is to tap out a different beat with each one. Basically, you want to play 1/4 notes, 1/8 notes, and 1/16th notes. It doesn't matter with which limb you play them. By all means, switch them up. If you aren't familiar with what those fractions mean, you can probably look them up on youtube, but here's the best description I can manage without showing you. Say these phrases out loud, and tap the desk or whatever it is you're using on capital words.

1/4: ONE and TWO and THREE and FOUR and

1/8: ONE AND TWO AND THREE AND FOUR AND

1/16: ONE EE AND A TWO EE AND A THREE EE AND A FOUR EE AND A

So again, pick a limb for each one of those, and work up to being able to play them for extended amounts of time without needing to stop or losing your timing. Then switch them around. If you start with Left Hand 1/4, Right Hand 1/16, and Right Foot 1/8, move clockwise or something to Left Hand 1/8, Right Foot 1/16, Right Hand 1/4.

Easy practice without a kit to work on. Good luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: