FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
RB Drum Technique Annoyances

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dochogan  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: RB Drum Technique Annoyances Reply with quote

For those of you with actual (read: 'real') drum experience, what annoyances do you have with techniques used in RB drum charts?

One that keeps cropping up for me is crash/splash without kick. I was taught to *always* accent a splash/crash with a kick, but there are a lot of places in RB charts that don't do this (no examples, but I'm sure everyone has seen them). My biggest problem is that I just can't seem to *not* kick these anyway, and end up breaking my combos.

Let me clarify by saying that yes, I can hit the green pad without throwing in a bass hit. It's not the *positioning* that's killing me. It's that, when you just *know* that there's a splash/crash coming, either by actually knowing the song or by feeling it in the music, *that's* when I can't not kick.

I know if I were a better drummer I'd be able to break this, but it's been ingrained into me since I first started learning kit.

Does anyone else get tripped up by this, or have other technique annoyances in RB?
[Eruption -Van Halen(GH)] [Prelude to Madness/Hall of the Mountain King -Savatage]
[Zoot Suit Riot -CPD] [Any Vai-era or Shut Up n Play Zappa(GH)]
Code:
Obyron: ...the [One] chart for the solo in GH3 looks like someone just ate a bunch of skittles and then threw up on the note chart
Drakken  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: RB Drum Technique Annoyances Reply with quote

dochogan wrote:
One that keeps cropping up for me is crash/splash without kick. I was taught to *always* accent a splash/crash with a kick, but there are a lot of places in RB charts that don't do this (no examples, but I'm sure everyone has seen them). My biggest problem is that I just can't seem to *not* kick these anyway, and end up breaking my combos.

Let me clarify by saying that yes, I can hit the green pad without throwing in a bass hit. It's not the *positioning* that's killing me. It's that, when you just *know* that there's a splash/crash coming, either by actually knowing the song or by feeling it in the music, *that's* when I can't not kick.

I know if I were a better drummer I'd be able to break this, but it's been ingrained into me since I first started learning kit.

Does anyone else get tripped up by this, or have other technique annoyances in RB?

Yes! I've missed out on getting the ending bonus several times due to adding a kick with the green pad when I shouldn't have. "But you always hit the kick with the cymbal at the end!" I say. Like you, I'll have to learn to get away from what I'm used to doing and just focus on what they have on the screen.

I can't think of any other annoyances right now, unless you count occasionally adding other things that I naturally "feel" even when they're not there (like extra kicks).
10 million (currently 10.53 million!)

FC Epic

Cyberscore - Great high scores site for other games
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Drakken688
jameseatworld  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can add a kick at the end of your fill and still activate the overdrive, I do it all the time just to keep time with my foot and it works just fine
lilsushi  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ag wat annoys me is the kick thing to, but what RLLY ricks me off is the fact that that i want to like hit a cymbal not a tom for crash/splash it jsut feels awkward cause when i play on my real kit i reach up in the air to hit cymbals but on rock band i have to hit somthing below... i donno its hard to explain but it bugs the hell outta me
anonymous_103  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post has been deleted.
dochogan  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jameseatworld wrote:
you can add a kick at the end of your fill and still activate the overdrive, I do it all the time just to keep time with my foot and it works just fine

If you're referring to Drakken's post, he was talking about the Big Rock Ending jams, which sometimes end with the traditional cymbal crash but no kick.

As far as for ending the OD passages, they'll trigger OD no matter what you hit, as long as the green pad is hit, in my experience. I *think* this breaks combo, though, but I don't remember. Really sucks if it does, and is part of the annoyance.
[Eruption -Van Halen(GH)] [Prelude to Madness/Hall of the Mountain King -Savatage]
[Zoot Suit Riot -CPD] [Any Vai-era or Shut Up n Play Zappa(GH)]
Code:
Obyron: ...the [One] chart for the solo in GH3 looks like someone just ate a bunch of skittles and then threw up on the note chart
Zknet  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dochogan wrote:
jameseatworld wrote:

If you're referring to Drakken's post, he was talking about the Big Rock Ending jams, which sometimes end with the traditional cymbal crash but no kick.

As far as for ending the OD passages, they'll trigger OD no matter what you hit, as long as the green pad is hit, in my experience. I *think* this breaks combo, though, but I don't remember. Really sucks if it does, and is part of the annoyance.

At the end of the drum fills, you can hit bass/crash at the same time w/o it breaking your streak. I've done it for times the next note is another quick bass/crash.
tomahawk72  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: 1 Reply with quote

I always hit bass/crash at the ned of an overdrive phrase. It doesn't break the combo.
alsoknownas  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if you guys just arent reading right, but he's talking about the big rock band bonus at the END of some songs where they'll just have a crash hit without the bass drum.

Rock Band Stats:
X Guitar Gold Stars: 48/58
X Guitar FCs: 25/58
X Bass Gold Stars: 54/58
X Bass FCs: 54/58
Total Bass FCs: 89
NoPance  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't bother me too much, although I played a lot of jazz set where crashing without a kick isn't too rare (mainly a timbral change from hitting it with the kick).

Also doesn't bug me too much to play with snare/hat/bass at the same time (pretty common in latin/afro-cuban and four-on-the-floor beats).

Really the only thing that annoys me is when they put a custom fill in a weird place (like right in the middle of an 8-bar phrase), and you want to keep grooving instead of putting a really bad-sounding tom fill in randomly, yet you don't have any hihat/ride to use since they get turned into toms. So you either have to go nirvana and ride the crash cymbal, or just deal with how dumb it sounds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: No Pance
ghozt360  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: RB Drum Technique Annoyances Reply with quote

dochogan wrote:
For those of you with actual (read: 'real') drum experience, what annoyances do you have with techniques used in RB drum charts?

i dont play real drums but i have a habit of doing that just cuz 90% of the crash are accompinied by a kick
SamuraiVern  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deepbluevibes wrote:
what gets me is when there's a bass pedal WITH a snare and a hi-hat; that's very, very rare in most songs, so it screws with me.

QFT. I think I've missed FC on creep about...40 times? Because of this. I just get caught up in how fun this song is and fuck that part up. It seriously makes me want to cry.

It's so disapointing.

It's very very rare that even in my own songs that I hit snare and bass together unless I'm utilizing a steady ride on the bass.
disquette  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: RB Drum Technique Annoyances Reply with quote

ghozt360 wrote:
i dont play real drums but i have a habit of doing that just cuz 90% of the crash are accompinied by a kick

But not on expert Creep. That's what's preventing me from 5*'ing that one. (I know I am not nearly as good as most of the people here, but I wanted to comment since this really is familiar).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: