FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
to all real drummers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jett93  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: to all real drummers Reply with quote

i was just wondering how much being good at rock band drumming translates into real life. like right now i have no real-life drumming experience but i can beat pretty much all of the songs on expert. does this mean that i could just go to a drumset and know how to play it?

add my on myspace,
myspace.com/gradythomas
GurnKiller  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say yes and no.

Yes, because the technique used (assuming you're holding the sticks correctly, not using too much arm, playing somewhat loosely, etc.) is the same as playing a real drumset.

No, because playing a real drumset also means utilizing your left foot (assuming you're playing righty) on the hi-hat, the positioning is different (much more vertical - cymbals and toms will likely be higher than the snare drum), the bass drum pedal will feel different, the rebound of the drums is different, and I can go on and on.

However, I will say that it's MUCH more similar to a real drumset than a GH or RB guitar is to playing a real guitar (god I hope everyone knows this).

Why not give it a shot and let us know? I'd actually be quite interested to see how someone who has never played real drums before translates their RB skills to a real kit.

Proud Carungiist - If you are a Carungiist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Carungiists are on ScoreHero!
yakityyakblah wrote:
OMG it's called scorehero not shitty argument hero.

Author for RockGamer Studios
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: GurnKiller
dragoon013  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never played drums in real life, but have come pretty close to finishing Expert. When I get home, I'm going to try playing on my sister's drum set and seeing if I can't mimic any of the songs.

My friend and I were thinking, for people that don't have a very good memory, you can have the game running in practice mode on a nearby tv, and you can play the notes on the real set instead of on the controller.
someguy913  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Drummania for 3 or 4 years before I ever got a real drum set or formally learned how to play. (I still don't consider myself formally trained, though...) For those of you who haven't played it, Drummania is quite similar to RB drums. Drummania had 5 pads and a bass pedal, and (IMO) more complicated drum charts. Eventually I decided that I wanted to play real drums. When I first got my drumset, I found that a lot of what I had learned from DM actually did transfer fairly well. Obviously, some of the biggest things that I had to get used to were the hi-hat pedal and the existence of dynamics. Eventually I did take lessons for about 6 months, but other than that I am self- (and Drummania-) taught.

So, drum simulation games, like RB and DM, can actually be a good stepping stone to real drums, in my experience.

View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Yahoo Messenger XBL Gamertag: someguy913ps PSN Name: someguy913
DaMan1468  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the hi hat pedal will be tough to do but aside from that theres not much. The real positions of the toms and cymbals will be pretty easy to get used to as long as your technique is good.

The only thing is you obviously wont be able to play the later tier songs right off the bat. When you play those songs in rockband you might scrape by with a 75%, on real drums that would sound awful, you must be able to hit almost all of it. But you would definately be able to play early tier songs with simple beats like say it aint so or creep etc...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: