FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
"Drum roll" - a drummer's rant
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terjyn  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saxuallyAPeasing wrote:
If you think that's bad then try to ignore how the word "triplet" is thrown around...

If you change the time signature of a song which has a sequence of 8th notes they magically become triplets. This is why most people do not care about the distinction between Triplets and just three notes of the same duration, they are played identically, so you have to be incredibly sensitive to music theory for it to make a difference.

This is entirely different than what is described here, where a closed roll is actually different to play from rolls in the game.
Malyonsus  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terjyn wrote:
saxuallyAPeasing wrote:
If you think that's bad then try to ignore how the word "triplet" is thrown around...

If you change the time signature of a song which has a sequence of 8th notes they magically become triplets. This is why most people do not care about the distinction between Triplets and just three notes of the same duration, they are played identically, so you have to be incredibly sensitive to music theory for it to make a difference.

This is entirely different than what is described here, where a closed roll is actually different to play from rolls in the game.

Not sure how much I agree with your triplet argument. A triplet, rather than just being three equal length notes played in succession, also implies something about the accents. With a couple of exceptions (always), triplets will have natural accents every third note (ONE trip-let) rather than ever other note (ONE and TWO) as would be the case with three even eighths played in isolation.
NoPance  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Thank you. :P

This has been a peeve of mine, but I haven't really wanted to go off on it just because it seemed to be so widespread in the DM/RB community. I've played drums for a long time too (tenors in a divi 1 drum corps, tenors for an independent WGI line, local symphonies, college symphony/marching band, drumset since I was in elementary school, teach/write now, etc.) and it definitely bugs me.

Connotively, a "roll" most often refers to either a closed or open-stroke roll like you mentioned. If you ask anyone who's a drummer to play a roll, their response is never going to be 16th notes.

There's no good way to get a firm definition on what a "roll" is though. You could claim that it's purely a textural designation, where the strokes are played fast and more or less out-of-time to emulate sustain (as is the case in single-stroke or closed rolls), but open rolls are in time and more like the tremelos that originated as shorthand for string players.

You could claim that a roll requires a specific technique, which encapsulates open and closed rolls (multiple bounce and controlled bounce respectively), but a proper single-stroke roll is essentially a series of serial legato strokes which is no different than a string of 16th notes.

I think it just has to fall back on the the "accepted" usage of the word, which would not qualify normal streams of notes (16th, 24th, 32nd, or otherwse) as rolls.

So it's not technically "wrong" to call the fills or singles in rock band rolls, it's more or less like calling a motorcycle a bicycle. It may be technically true (using the bicycle is a two-wheeled mode of transportation definition), but no one would ever make that association because it's ambiguous with it's connotive usage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website XBL Gamertag: No Pance
rhythmjunkie  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double-Stroke rolls are what I find to be using in RB- and no I don't play percussion. Anyways, why does it matter? I've been watching drum lessons on YouTube because I'm considering getting a set. A guy demonstrated a "buzz roll" that you mentioned before-- it doesn't look like any of the techniques used in RB and seems to be NAMED buzz roll because of the speed and the way it sounds on the snare drum. Correct me if I'm wrong
GurnKiller  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhythmjunkie wrote:
Double-Stroke rolls are what I find to be using in RB- and no I don't play percussion. Anyways, why does it matter? I've been watching drum lessons on YouTube because I'm considering getting a set. A guy demonstrated a "buzz roll" that you mentioned before-- it doesn't look like any of the techniques used in RB and seems to be NAMED buzz roll because of the speed and the way it sounds on the snare drum. Correct me if I'm wrong

You're correct... the technique is not used in RB.

And you mention speed. The sound of an ideal buzz roll is a sustained sound, one in which you can't hear the sound of the stick hitting the drum, but only the buzz of the snares. Depending on the volume of the buzz roll you're looking for, some are actually quite slow (in terms of how many times you're moving your arm for the stick to hit the drum). In general, loud rolls are played with slower strokes and quiet rolls.

Again:
So, I don't really know what I was trying to accomplish by writing this... I suppose it's just a pet peeve of mine. I can guarantee that if you asked an experienced drummer sitting behind a drumset or standing behind a snare drum to play a drum roll, they would play a closed roll (or at least I would hope so).

Proud Carungiist - If you are a Carungiist, put this in your sig. Let's see how many Carungiists are on ScoreHero!
yakityyakblah wrote:
OMG it's called scorehero not shitty argument hero.

Author for RockGamer Studios
View user's profile Wiki User Page Send private message Send e-mail XBL Gamertag: GurnKiller
0v3rki11  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found it extremely annoying that I can't successfully play double tapped rolls during songs like that, mainly due to a. the amount of bounce that the pads provide, b. the sensors in the pad which seem to be faulty for double tapping anyway, and c. the fact that most of the rolls or fast parts in the game could actually be hit with a simple double tap which I prefer to do over single stroking 16th notes or something...

So yeah, although I understand your logic based on a drummer's perspective, in RB, it doesn't really apply because it was made for the masses...

Also, I'm not a drum expert or anything, I just know how to play them...

The simple solution would've been to add a red strip where you had to play a roll lol...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Technique, Style, and Gameplay -> Drums All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: