FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
PC as controller for xbox/ps3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pyriel  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: PC as controller for xbox/ps3 Reply with quote

I looked around today and saw a lot of threads about using the equipment on a pc but I do not want that.

I wanted to know if anyone has found a way to plug your pc through a usb cable into the ps3/xbox and use the keyboard/mouse as controllers.

The idea is to buy a cheap electronic drumkit and a midi to usb adapter. Just plug the actual drums into the pc and the pc to my ps3. This would completely eliminate the need for the pos rockband drums. If someone figures this out then all the drummers could just buy a cheap electronic drumset and only the game disc for gh4/RR since you wouldn't need the stock drums for those games at all.

I want to buy something like this http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-Performance-Pad-491527-i1397301.gc or an actual drumkit and not have to solder/need the fake drum circuit board. This would save a lot of money/hassle/space in the long run.

Last edited by Pyriel on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
craventrio  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't just plug your PC in as if it was a USB controller and have it work in any games.

In theory I THINK they could make software for the console that connects to your PC over USB (if MS/Sony would let them release it!) since you can connect two computers USB to USB, but that's not what you're wanting to do at all. The game wouldn't be expecting a computer to be plugged in, it would be expecting xbox controllers or whatever.

You can plug a USB keyboard or mouse straight in to the console and have them work... where they're supported. Keyboard is often supported for typing, but not usually for playing games that were designed for the controllers!

People have connected generic electronic drumkit to RB. They have done this by taking the electronic guts from the RB drums and interfacing them to the new drums. There are threads in hardware, here's one: http://rockband.scorehero.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7000

Oh and any solution custom made for RB like this probably won't work directly in activision games. You can only use guitar hero guitars (or custom guitars made out of the guitar hero guitar's electronics!) in guitar hero games! Dunno about RR.

(edit: sorry, you seem to know about this sort of drumkit stuff already.. either I missed it the first time or you added it while I was writing my reply!)

It would be interesting if there WAS a USB device (think it would need to be hardware, not just a simple cable between console and PC) that could be reprogrammed to mimic any other device and forward input from the PC. Don't suppose such a thing exists except for expensive FPGAs and things? :D
Pyriel  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if people are making programs to accept the equipment in windows like the little drum machine progs using the rockband drums, then I think it would be completely possible for them to use something else as the input(actual set) and output in the ps3/xbox format through a usb cable so the system picks it up as the actual controller.

Without any hardware/circuit boards.
TNTX  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's actually easily possible if you can name a game that supports keyboard input. Steal the iopkb.irx from it, stick it into the game.dtb and IOP folder, and voíla, developer mode. Also works with GH2, and presumably GH1.
Look no further!

BNSClub.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Zero0920
craventrio  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait are you guys saying you can emulate any USB device (or just a keyboard, TNTX) from your PC with no hardware except a USB cable?

Because I can't find how to do that but I've found hardware like this http://www.centrillium-it.com/Products/UsbDE/ and I don't see why someone wouldn't just write software if that was possible?
TNTX  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craventrio wrote:
Wait are you guys saying you can emulate any USB device (or just a keyboard, TNTX) from your PC with no hardware except a USB cable?

Because I can't find how to do that but I've found hardware like this http://www.centrillium-it.com/Products/UsbDE/ and I don't see why someone wouldn't just write software if that was possible?

I didn't bother to look at the product, but if you write a driver for keyboard input, or steal one from another game (ARMax might have it, as it takes keyboard input), and stick it in like every other driver, it SHOULD work as is.

Edit: With a little programming, that device would probably work. You'd have to figure out how to make it read as a guitar/drums, or else it'll likely pick up as a mic, which doesn't take key input. And from there, you can probably write scripts for each note chart for each song, and auto-full band your way to ESL.
Look no further!

BNSClub.png
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger XBL Gamertag: Zero0920
craventrio  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that explains how to hack a console game to make it accept keyboard input (is that 360 you're talking about specifically there TNTX? I've never made customs or anything for consoles), but not how to hack a PC to pretend to be a USB keyboard.

And if you can make a PC pretend to be a keyboard, you could about as easily make it pretend to be a 360 controller or microphone or anything else you please... but I don't know how to do this step. Unless you have special hardware like I linked or could be built.
ajanata  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't use a PC as a device, plain and simple. They only have host controllers, not device controllers. PC-PC USB cables have hardware in them that allows two hosts to communicate, and you cannot change what that would show up as to a console.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craventrio wrote:
Well that explains how to hack a console game to make it accept keyboard input (is that 360 you're talking about specifically there TNTX? I've never made customs or anything for consoles), but not how to hack a PC to pretend to be a USB keyboard.

For 360, you'd have to hack iopkb.irx into the Xbox Kernal itself. I'm just talking about enabling Developer mode on (currently only) PS2. Which also grants you access to about a bazillion cheats that we don't get.
Look no further!

BNSClub.png
kdb424  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am all for this topic because I would love to do this, but someone may have t lock it because people could easily FC any song by using a MIDI program to press keys. If I am wrong, please leave this open. I love the idea though. Rock on!
craventrio  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TNTX wrote:
Yes, it's actually easily possible if you can name a game that supports keyboard input. Steal the iopkb.irx from it, stick it into the game.dtb and IOP folder, and voíla, developer mode. Also works with GH2, and presumably GH1.

I've seen where that goes in the DTB files now and seen the GH tutorials which even suggest what games to borrow USB keyboard drivers from. Might have to try this one day. Sounds cool, but nothing to do with the original thread question :)

kdb424 wrote:
I am all for this topic because I would love to do this, but someone may have t lock it because people could easily FC any song by using a MIDI program to press keys. If I am wrong, please leave this open. I love the idea though. Rock on!

It wouldn't be VERY easy because you'd have to get it in sync with the game. This is hard enough when playing a recording to try to FC vocals and would be a nightmare with the much more precise instruments. Passing through a human player's input (as long as you calibrate, in the game in the normal way, for whatever lag you've added to the process).

But the reason it should be locked is because

ajanata wrote:
You can't use a PC as a device, plain and simple.

It's not a software problem as I said (but ajanata thankfully used words I couldn't remember like host, device and controllers). Any attempt to do this requires very special hardware to be bought or built before any software is written.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScoreHero Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: